Lighthouse

Description

Eclipse Island Lighthouse is an active lighthouse in Eclipse Island off the south coast of Western Australia. It was built in 1926 as a cylindrical tower made of concrete. Initially, it was a manned station using kerosene as lantern fuel in combination with a first order Fresnel lens. In 1976 the lantern was completely removed though and the optic was put on display at the Western Australian Museum. Today the light is emitted from atop a mast on the lighthouse's concrete trunk. The characteristic is a group of three flashes every twelve seconds from a focal plane at 117 metres (384 ft) above sea level. Three family quarters made of brick with fibro roofing along with several outbuildings, concrete tanks and bases, generator shed, helipad and a concrete landing can be found around the lighthouse. A trestle based light gauge railway and cable towers are also found in the lighthouse precinct, and was all constructed during the interwar period.



Images of Eclipse Island Lighthouse

Images not held


Groups

Contacts 

Opening Hours 

Opening Hours not held

More Information 

  • Date Built: 1926
  • Height (m): 14
  • Elevation (m): 119
  • Automated: 1976

Similar POI Nearby 


POI
No records found