Lighthouse

Description

Dent Island Light is an active lighthouse located on Dent Island, a small island off the coast of Queensland, Australia. Dent Island is part of the Whitsunday Group of the Whitsunday Islands. Located on the south-west tip of the island, the light guides ships passing in the Whitsunday Passage, between Whitsunday Island and the islands to the west, and marks the Dent Island Passage. From its inception, the lighthouse was closely connected to Cape Cleveland Light. Both lighthouses were recommended, approved, tendered and finally, in December 1879, constructed together. The light went through two upgrades in the 1920s replacing both the oil lamp and the fourth order lens with an incandescent gas mantle and a new lens. In 1983, the light was converted to solar power, and finally, in 1987 it was de-manned. The lighthouse is a typical for Queensland, made of a timber frame clad with galvanized iron plates. It is topped by a Chance Brothers lantern room, and painted white with a red dome. A modern ML-300 lantern replaced the original lens.



Images of Dent Island Lighthouse

Images not held


Groups

Contacts 

Opening Hours 

Opening Hours not held

Similar POI Nearby 


POI
No records found