Lighthouse

Description

Crowdy Head Light is an active lighthouse located at Crowdy Head, a headland between Forster and Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia. It is registered with the Register of the National Estate. The current lighthouse is the last of five lighthouses of similar design designed and built by James Barnet in 1878–80, the other four being Fingal Head Light, Clarence River Light (now demolished), Tacking Point Lighthouse and Richmond River Light. The original light was a fixed white light from a 4th order catadioptric apparatus with an intensity of less than 1,000 cd. It was manned by one keeper. In 1928 the apparatus was converted to a carbide lamp (acetylene gas), with an intensity of 1,500 cd. At the same opportunity, the light was automated. The pilot station was closed in the 1960s. In 1972 the light was converted to mains electricity. In 2002 the 4th order Fresnel lens was sold on eBay for $20,000, and is now on display at Sea Girt Light in New Jersey.



Images of Crowdy Head Lighthouse

Images not held


Groups

Contacts 

Opening Hours 

Opening Hours not held

More Information 

  • Date Built: 1878
  • Height (m): 7
  • Elevation (m): 61
  • Automated: 1928

Similar POI Nearby 


POI
No records found