Description

Walgett, meaning the meeting of two rivers, was proclaimed a settlement in March of 1885. In this era the township was served by paddle steamers, used to carry the produce of the area – wool, dried fruit and livestock. It was a Walgett man, Frederick York Wolseley who decided that the hand shearing sheep needed to be upgraded, and so in 1867 he began experimenting to design the first mechanical sheep shearing hand piece. Charles Sturt explored the region in the vicinity of the Barwon River in about 1829 and two of the first settlers in the area were a Mrs Ulambie and Mr Henry Cox who arrived in 1848. Mr Cox was the owner of the “Wareena Run”, which became the site of the town of Walgett. The township was surveyed by Arthur Dewhurst in July 1859. As late as 1920, paddle steamers were still plying their trade along the river, although their heyday was the year of 1880. The “Brewarrina”, “Ellen”, “Sturt” and “Wandering Jew” were some of the famous craft that frequented Walgett’s port at the Dangar Bridge.

Images around Walgett NSW 2832


Around Walgett NSW 2832


Our Picks on what to Do in Walgett NSW

Skydive Walgett

Walgett RSL Club

Walgett Sporting Club

Our Picks on where to Stay in Walgett NSW

Burren Junction Bore Baths and Camp Ground

The Barwon Inn

Gateway Hotel Motel

Search hotels around Walgett NSW

The Search will open in a new window on Partner site Booking.com.

Our Picks on what to Eat in Walgett NSW

Stone's Throw

Hon Doo Restaurant

Cafe 64

Shopping in Walgett NSW